SKIP THE SUGAR RUSH: DON’T DRINK YOUR CALORIES IN PURSUIT OF WEIGHT LOSS
Have you ever thought about the amount of calories you may be drinking?
Many people start their day with a coffee drink or smoothie, but you may be surprised at how quickly these empty calories add up. Specialty coffee drinks can be loaded with calories and sugar. A grande Starbucks Frappuccino might sound delicious on a hot day, but contains 230 calories and 45 grams of sugar. Even a smoothie, which seems like a healthy choice, such as the Naked Green Machine has 270 calories and 53 grams of sugar per bottle!
CALORIES AND SUGAR: A BAD COMBINATION
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says sugar-sweetened beverages are the leading source of added sugars in the American diet. Frequently drinking them can be associated with weight gain, obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, kidney diseases, non-alcoholic liver disease, tooth decay, and gout.
New York Bariatric Group surgeon Dr. Nikhilesh Sekhar warns, “drinking your calories is a waste of calories. You don't get any protein or other important nutrients from sugary beverages. You don’t feel the satisfaction that comes from eating, and you may even feel hungrier after you finish your drink due to an insulin spike from the sudden sugar rush."
BETTER DRINK CHOICES
Dr Sekhar says, "If you treat your daily calorie goal like a budget, you will quickly see how drinking your calories destroys your budget. You likely wouldn’t throw a hundred dollar bill in the garbage, but every time you drink sugary, high calorie beverages, that is exactly what you are doing with your calorie budget.”
The New York Bariatric Group nutritionists recommend:
- Low calorie and sugar-free beverages
- Avoid cocktails with juice or simple syrups
- Don’t drink carbonated beverages like beer or spiked seltzers (which can cause reflux and can cause your stomach to stretch)
Here is a low-calorie and sugar-free drink to consider:
Shake ingredients over ice, pour and enjoy 139 calories, 0 net carbs.
- 2oz Vodka
- 1/2 tsp Orange Extract
- 1/3 Cup Sugar free or Lite Cranberry Juice
- Fresh lime juice to taste
YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY PARTNER
Bariatric surgery is a safe, effective long-term weight-loss solution that helps thousands of people lose weight and keep it off. Many studies show that patients maintain 50% to 70% loss of excess weight 10+ years after bariatric surgery.
When it’s time to start a successful weight-loss transformation, it’s time to call NYBG!
We’re the best practice around and our numbers prove it:
- 23 skilled surgeons who are leaders in bariatrics, 4 Plastic Surgeons, 21 PA’s, and 1 Colorectal Surgeon.
- 30,000 successful procedures performed with more every day
- The #1 gastric balloon practice by volume – most balloons placed in the United States
- Access to online seminars, support groups, cooking demos, and Q&A sessions
- 100s of videos for patients explaining procedures, answering common questions, and showcasing previous patients
- Multiple offices located in three states; NY, NJ, CT
- Since 2000, we boast over 20 years of success!
Our commitment to patient success and excellence has earned us accreditation from the Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). This prestigious achievement recognizes only the top bariatric practices. Stop waiting; start achieving better health today. Together, we’ve got this!
New York Bariatric Group is implementing and enforcing strict guidelines put out by the Center of Disease Control and the Department of Health in order to keep our staff and patients safe.
We are offering in-person and virtual consultations to ensure that everyone is able to get the information and care they deserve without feeling pressure to leave their home.