When you have bariatric surgery or a weight loss balloon with New York Bariatric Group, our team will make sure you are comfortable with the weight loss guidelines we provide. Even before your procedure day, we will discuss the plan with you during the comprehensive nutritional evaluation that we do prior to surgery.
Here is an overview of the plan we’ll discuss with you:
Patients follow a Stage I diet for the first 4-6 weeks after surgery. This includes foods that are soft, mushy, and/or pureed consistencies. Examples of pureed foods include baby foods, fruitless yogurt, cottage cheese, and hummus. Soft and mushy foods include chopped up ground meats such as turkey, veal, chicken, or pork; soft, white, flaky fish that is baked, broiled, or grilled; scrambled eggs and egg whites. Solid foods of all kinds should be avoided until weeks 4-6 or when the surgeon allows it based on your particular circumstances.
Our experts at New York Bariatric Group stress the importance of good hydration, using non carbonated, decaffeinated, sugar free beverages.
One of the most important nutritional components in weight loss is protein. We always promote good quality proteins to be consumed starting right after your bariatric surgery.
Sugar & Fat
Foods that are high in sugar or high in fat are limited. We will provide you with very specific guidelines to help you make clear-cut choices about which foods are healthy to eat.
Fruits and vegetables – along with other high fiber foods - are usually reintroduced in a few months. Although these foods are “healthy” from a traditional standpoint, our dietary recommendations also take into account what is best for your body in terms of healing after the weight loss surgery or procedure you’ve had.
The New York Bariatric Group is fully dedicated to promoting high standards for nutritional health. That doesn’t mean that patients should not enjoy eating! We want you to enjoy food and want to help you have a positive journey towards weight loss, better health, and new food choices.
The New York Bariatric Group weight loss program has been designed to help patients lose weight rapidly, but provides you with resources to help enjoy your new lifestyle by keeping the flavor and fun in eating.
Each patient is given the option to enroll in our Store. We bring together great tasting meals and supplements for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even snacks which can be ordered on our website.
Here are some tips that can work for anyone – whether they’ve had bariatric surgery or not. These tips will help you focus on not feeling deprived while you’re making healthy changes:
- Pick a sensible – not extreme - eating plan that you can stick with.
- Focus on lifestyle change rather than telling yourself it’s a “diet.”
- Find new and exciting ways to stay motivated that don’t involve food.
- Indulge in treats once in a while! We offer a choice of bariatric treats.
- Reward yourself for reaching mini weight loss goals, but not with food.
- Be accountable for your eating, even on the days you stray from the plan.
- Eat small meals at specific times to avoid feeling hungry.
- Don’t skip meals.
- Create lighter versions of your favorite meals that you can enjoy eating.
- Keep healthy food choices in sight, like on the counter or at the front of your fridge.
- Store your treat foods at the back of a cabinet where you won’t see them on a daily basis.