Should I Consider Getting the LAP-BAND in Mexico?
Important Facts To Consider:
1. The LAP-BAND AP System is not currently available in Mexico. So, patients who opt for surgery in Mexico are not receiving the newest, most advanced band available today that has received a 94% satisfaction rating among patients.2,4
2. The 2 year data from the APEX study showed that mean excess weight loss with the LAP-BAND AP System is 53%. This comprehensive study has 508 patients from 44 different sites of care in the United States.
3. All LAP-BAND Systems require follow up care after surgery. In fact, all weight loss surgical procedures require follow up including the LAP-BAND. As such, many patients cannot readily travel back to Mexico for the regular follow up visits required to be successful. Aftercare is an essential part of achieving weight loss goals and in improving the quality of life. Case in point, in a study conducted with 216 patients, better weight loss was achieved with more than 6 follow-up visits in year one.5 And the patients in the APEX study (mentioned above) visited their surgeon on average an 11 times in the first year. Note that many U.S. surgeons will not see patients who’ve had their surgery in Mexico for their aftercare.
4. Surgery outside the United States is typically not covered by insurance, and neither is the aftercare. And if that applies to your insurance policy, you will have to pay out of pocket for the procedure. If you’re looking for cash pay alternatives here in the States and wish to finance the procedure, there are low-cost financing options available. And since the cost of the procedure can vary, you should attend a FREE Information seminar to find out more about your options. To do so, go to our home page and register for one of our FREE information seminars conveniently located in Nassau County, Suffolk County, Manhattan, Staten Island and Brooklyn!
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment to see one of our surgeons, call our office at (516) 616-5500 or fill out our contact form to start a conversation now.
1. Data on File, Allergan, Inc. November 2009.
2. Patient satisfaction data was collected during the APEX study, an observational study that used a global questionnaire to ask patients if they were: very satisfied, satisfied, indifferent, or dissatisfied with their LAP-BAND AP(r) experience. 84.1% of patients completed the questionnaire at their 48 week follow-up visit (272/323). Allergan Data on File; October, 2009.
3. Data on file, Allergan, Inc. May 2010, Irvine, CA.
4. Data on file, Allergan, Inc. May 2010, Irvine, CA.
5. Impact of Patient Follow-Up on Weight Loss after Bariatric Surgery, Obesity Surgery, 2004; 14: 514-519
IMPORTANT LAP-BAND(r) SYSTEM SAFETY INFORMATION
Indications: The LAP-BAND(r) System is indicated for use in weight reduction for severely obese patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of at least 40 or a BMI of at least 35 with one or more severe comorbid conditions, or those who are 100 lbs. or more over their estimated ideal weight.