Jaylene Verhelst and Hollace Jacovetty – Bariatric Surgery
Nearly a decade ago, Jaylene Verhelst and Hollace Jacovetty underwent bariatric surgery and lost 100 pounds.
The ABC News article plunged readers into the world of bariatric surgery. The article discussed the safety of bariatric surgery and warned of possible consequences.
Even eight years ago, bariatric surgery was labeled as safe.
Some things haven’t changed in eight years. They state, “Bariatric surgery is far from a quick fix for weight loss. Proper preparation for the surgery requires wholesale lifestyle changes like developing good eating habits and performing plenty of exercise.”
At NYBG, we still tell our patients that they must be committed to losing weight. Bariatric surgery has never been a quick or easy fix for obesity, but more and more sources are calling it a cure for obesity and many obesity-related diseases.
While the tenets of bariatric surgery have not changed drastically, the procedures have become even safer.
In 2009, the mortality rate for 4,610 bariatric patients was 0.3%.
In 2016, the mortality rate was .22% for 64,494 patients.
The survival rate for bariatric surgery is 99.8%, in comparison to hip replacements with a mortality rate of 0.29% or c-sections at 0.40%.
Bariatric surgery has been proven to push diabetic patients into remission, help ease menopause for women, keep COPD patients out of the hospital, and protect women from aggressive breast cancer and men from aggressive prostate cancer.
Bariatric Surgery Source gives patients many tools to successfully lose weight through bariatric surgery. One of the best resources for pre-surgery patients is their ten steps to minimizing risks.
Their most important point is choosing a good bariatric doctor and the right weight-loss clinic.
NYBG could be the right practice for your needs.
Dr. Shawn Garber explains the three things that set NYBG apart:
- We are a practice with extensive experience in bariatric surgery. Together, our six surgeons have performed over 12,000 surgical procedures. You want your care and the care of those you love to be in our experienced hands. We are the only practice with extensive experience in single incision laparoscopic surgery. We can perform your Lap-Band or sleeve gastrectomy through one small incision hidden in your belly button.
- Patient Care Experience
- We have worked hard to create a seamless experience for our patients. Our state of the art call center immediately responds to your phone call, routing you to the individual to whom you need to speak. Our staff listens to your concerns and answers your questions. We focus on providing you the information you need to succeed.
- State of the Art, Comprehensive Approach to YOUR Care
- Your first visit starts with metabolic testing to determine your metabolic rate. A thorough evaluation by our nutritionist begins the planning of your post-operation eating regime. Our state of the art endoscopy suite allows us to quickly and thoroughly investigate your GI tract. Our sleep center and pulmonologist allow us to fully evaluate your current pulmonary status. After surgery, we routinely monitor your vitamin and nutrient levels to much sure there are no deficiencies. Our support groups, as well as our online message boards and email allow us to remain in touch with you. Teaching you, coaching you, making you part of the NYBG family, to make the needed changes to achieve the success you deserve.
NYBG has the nation’s leading bariatric surgeons on staff. We are ready to help you achieve your weight-loss goals! Visit us at one of our many locations to discuss your bariatric options:
- New York, New York
- Smithtown, New York
- Roslyn Heights, New York
- Cortlandt Manor, New York
- Port Jefferson, New York
- Fishkill, New York
- Fairfield, Connecticut
At NYBG, we offer the vertical sleeve gastrectomy, three types of gastric balloon—ReShape Gastric Balloon, the Obalon Balloon System, and the Orbera Gastric Balloon—or LAP-BAND, gastric bypass, and medical weight loss.
Visit http://bariatric.stopobesityforlife.com/ for more information.