Weight-Shaming Harms Obese Patients: NYBG Puts Patient Comfort First
A new study from researchers at the University of London found that obese people often feel weight-shamed at their general practitioners office, so much so that they sometimes avoid going to appointments.
As a result of feeling shame, the study discovered that many patients would then blame themselves for their condition. It left them feeling humiliated and anxious, and made them more likely to overeat.
The study recommends that medical professionals be trained in “non-stigmatizing weight-related communication.” This includes increased education for healthcare students about the complex factors involving regulating body weight and for all healthcare professionals to be more empathetic.
IMPACT OF WEIGHT-SHAMING
Researchers say that weight-shaming can act as a barrier to services and treatments that can help obese patients–a critical issue given the risk for developing health conditions:
- Joint and Bone Pain
- Heart Disease
- Sleep Apnea
- High Blood Pressure
- Type 2 Diabetes
NYBG MAKES ALL PATIENTS FEEL WELCOME
The weight loss experts at New York Bariatric Group understand that simply “eating less and exercising more,” isn’t always the answer to weight loss. They are aware of the biological, metabolic, psychological, and social barriers to losing weight and keeping it off. NYBG takes pride in offering patients a welcoming place to experience their long-term weight loss journey.
Donna, who lost 111 pounds after bariatric surgery at New York Bariatric Group, remembers, “The second I walked into the door of NYBG, I knew that that was the place I wanted to be, from the receptionist to the PAs, to the doctors all the way through the process until the day of surgery. It was, you were family, the concern, the care, the level of attention was like nothing I had ever experienced before.”
The NYBG offices are designed for patients’ comfort. These comforts include:
- Extra spacious and sturdy seating in the waiting areas, exam and consultation rooms.
- Wide and sturdy exam tables
- Remote controlled motorized examination chairs that double as seat scales -which makes the weighing experience safe and comfortable
- Blood Pressure cuffs in a variety of sizes
- Expanded sized gowns for comfort and exceptional coverage
- Many of the staff are also former patients who provide compassion and positivity from experiencing their own weight-loss journey
“New York Bariatric Group ensures that all patients are made to feel comfortable. From the furniture in the waiting rooms to the blood pressure cuffs and everything in between. NYBG focuses on the holistic well-being of each and every patient,” says Dr. Nikhilesh Sekhar, NYBG bariatric surgeon.
NYBG: WITH PATIENTS EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
When it’s time to start a successful weight-loss transformation, it’s time to call NYBG!
Bariatric surgery is a safe, effective long-term weight-loss solution that helps thousands of people lose weight and keep it off. Many studies show that patients maintain 50% to 70% loss of excess weight 10+ years after bariatric surgery.
We’re the best practice around and our numbers prove it:
- 23 skilled surgeons who are leaders in bariatrics, 4 Plastic Surgeons, 21 PA’s, and 1 Colorectal Surgeon.
- 30,000 successful procedures performed with more every day
- The #1 gastric balloon practice by volume – most balloons placed in the United States
- Access to online seminars, support groups, cooking demos, and Q&A sessions
- 100s of videos for patients explaining procedures, answering common questions, and showcasing previous patients
- Multiple offices located in three states; NY, NJ, CT
- Since 2000, we boast over 20 years of success!
All of our hospitals are Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) accredited facilities, which is a prestigious designation bestowed upon only the top quality bariatric programs.
Stop waiting; start achieving better health today. Together, we’ve got this!
New York Bariatric Group is implementing and enforcing strict guidelines put out by the Center of Disease Control and the Department of Health in order to keep our staff and patients safe.
We are offering in-person and virtual consultations to ensure that everyone is able to get the information and care they deserve without feeling pressure to leave their home.