NYBG: One Stop Shop for Weight-Loss
Getting weight-loss surgery faster is possible with a one-day workup at New York Bariatric Group. When a patient decides they are ready to have bariatric surgery, there are multiple steps to go through before the actual surgery date. Depending on a person’s medical history, and the obesity treatment they choose, they can expect to undergo a series of consultations and evaluations. Unlike many other bariatric practices where it can take several visits to prepare for surgery, NYBG makes the process easy for patients.
Tests Before Weight-loss Surgery
A health assessment is an essential component of the surgical process, helping to ensure that patients are medically fit and can safely undergo an operation.
Typical pre-operative tests include:
1. Medical History and Physical Examination:
- Patients provide a detailed medical history, including previous surgeries, chronic conditions, and current medications.
- A physical examination is conducted to assess overall health, identify any underlying medical issues, and evaluate the patient's body mass index (BMI).
2. Blood Tests:
- Blood tests are conducted to evaluate various parameters, including complete blood count, liver function tests, kidney function tests, cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels, and thyroid function.
- These tests help determine if there are any underlying health conditions or risk factors that need to be addressed before surgery.
3. Imaging Studies:
- Imaging studies, such as an abdominal ultrasound or upper gastrointestinal series/upper endoscopy, may be conducted to assess the condition of the digestive system, identify any structural abnormalities, or evaluate the presence of gallstones.
- These tests help surgeons plan the most appropriate surgical approach.
4. Cardiac Evaluation:
- Patients may undergo an electrocardiogram to evaluate heart function and identify any underlying cardiovascular issues.
- In some cases, additional cardiac tests, such as a stress test or echocardiogram, may be recommended, especially for patients with a history of heart disease or risk factors.
5. Pulmonary Evaluation:
- A pulmonary evaluation may involve a chest X-ray or pulmonary function tests to assess lung function and identify any respiratory conditions.
- A sleep study will be conducted to diagnose the level of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), a condition where one has episodes of stopped breathing while asleep. OSA is common in obesity, and if untreated, can affect weight loss.
6. Psychological Evaluation:
- A psychological evaluation is conducted to assess the patient's mental and emotional readiness for bariatric surgery.
- The evaluation helps identify any issues which may impact the patient's long-term weight-loss success after the surgery.
7. Nutritionist Consultation:
- A nutritionist will gather information about food history and any special nutritional, religious, or cultural food preferences.
- Educate patients about dietary changes before and after surgery.
- Formulate a personal nutritional plan with strategies for maintaining dietary changes and overcoming potential obstacles.
"New York Bariatric Group surgeons support the all-in-one day workup because it ensures that our patients get the full medical workup to optimize their body and health before surgery” says Dr. Channing Chin. “My patients LOVE it because it minimizes time off work."
NYBG Meets Patients Needs
After bariatric surgery, patients will continue to meet with NYBG nutrition consultants to discuss nutritional requirements, food choices and portion sizes. Patients also learn more about Virtual Health Partners (VHP), which is an essential support tool. It provides access to online fitness classes, one-on-one live consultations with nutritionists, access to a food diary, activity tracker and much more.
Patients rave about their weight loss journey at NYBG. Brittany lost 130 pounds after her bariatric surgery and appreciated having all her appointments at the same office. “I chose NYBG primarily because everyone's together. It was like one stop shopping in a way, I could get nutrition here, I could get everything that I needed. I felt like I had all the resources and tools that I needed to be successful and I just had to use them.”
New York Bariatric Group Makes Weight-Loss Easy
We’re the best practice around and our numbers prove it:
- Surgeons who are leaders in bariatrics, plastic surgery, veins, and medical weight loss.
- 36,000 successful procedures performed with more every day
- The #1 gastric balloon practice by volume – most balloons placed in the United States
- Access to online seminars, support groups, cooking demos, and Q-and-A sessions
- 100s of videos for patients explaining procedures, answering common questions, and showcasing previous patients
- Multiple offices located in three states; NY, NJ, CT
- Since 2000, we boast over 23 years of success!
All of our hospitals are Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) accredited facilities, which is a prestigious designation bestowed upon only the top quality bariatric programs.
Stop waiting; start achieving better health today. Together, we’ve got this!
New York Bariatric Group is implementing and enforcing strict guidelines put out by the Center of Disease Control and the Department of Health in order to keep our staff and patients safe.
We are offering in-person and virtual consultations to ensure that everyone is able to get the information and care they deserve without feeling pressure to leave their home.