Halloween Treats That Don't Trick Your Waistline After Weight-Loss Surgery
It’s that time of year again! Halloween! It can be hard to resist all the tempting candy lined up on store shelves. How do you stay on track after your long-term weight-loss surgery, and still celebrate and partake in delicious treats?
New York Bariatric Group Nutritionist, Sharon George shares some healthy tips to make sure your treats don’t trick your waistline.
- Pick a treat that takes time to eat. Avoid treats that you “pop” in your mouth. Take the time to enjoy the smell and taste of what you are eating.
- Have a little dark chocolate paired with a great protein like almonds or cashews.
- Count and be mindful. “Fun sized” or “miniature” candy bars add up, packing in calories and sugar.
- Eat before you go to a party and bring a healthy snack with you to share.
- Always donate leftover candy!
- Don’t forget your plan and your routine. Continue to eat meals three times a day rich in protein and vegetables. Halloween is just another day! Don’t sacrifice all the hard work you have done for one day!
LOW SUGAR OPTIONS POST-BARIATRIC SURGERY
The sugars from sweets provide low nutritional value, have high glycemic index which quickly elevate blood sugar levels and are high in calories. If you can’t resist having a treat, choose a low sugar and low calorie option.
- - Blow Pop (60 calories/17g Carbs)
- - Tootsie Roll Pop (60 calories/10g Sugar)
- - Small Sour Patch Kids (120 calories/22g sugar)
- - Mini AirHeads Bar (140 calories/19g sugar)
- - Fun size Peanut M&M’s (90 calories/9g sugar)
- - Fun size Snickers bar (80 calories/11g sugar)
- - One Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup (110 calories/12g sugar)
- - The overall winner: 1 roll of Smarties (25 calories/6.9g sugar)
NUTRITION AND YOU AT NYBG
The Dietitian team at NYBG is there to support patients when they are facing dietary challenges pre-and post-surgery. The team is available for a patient’s entire weight loss journey, offering nutritional education to help patients reach their weight-loss goals. They help each person create a post-bariatric surgery diet and assist them in developing lifestyle changes to reach long-term weight-loss success.
NYBG: YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY PARTNER
When it’s time to start a successful weight-loss transformation, it’s time to call NYBG!
Bariatric surgery is a safe, effective long-term weight-loss solution that helps thousands of people lose weight and keep it off. Many studies show that patients maintain 50% to 70% loss of excess weight 10+ years after bariatric surgery.
We’re the best practice around and our numbers prove it:
- - 23 skilled surgeons who are leaders in bariatrics, 4 Plastic Surgeons, 21 PA’s, and 1 Colorectal Surgeon.
- - 30,000 successful procedures performed with more every day
- - The #1 gastric balloon practice by volume – most balloons placed in the United States
- - Access to online seminars, support groups, cooking demos, and Q&A sessions
- - 100s of videos for patients explaining procedures, answering common questions, and showcasing previous patients
- - Multiple offices located in three states; NY, NJ, CT
- - Since 2000, we boast over 20 years of success!
All of our hospitals are Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) accredited facilities, which is a prestigious designation bestowed upon only the top quality bariatric programs.
Stop waiting; start achieving better health today. Together, we’ve got this!
New York Bariatric Group is implementing and enforcing strict guidelines put out by the Center of Disease Control and the Department of Health in order to keep our staff and patients safe.