Dr. Naveen Ballem and his family are excited to be back and established in the town where he was raised. He attended the Montclair Kimberley Academy, where he was awarded a Garden State Scholarship. He then moved to Boston for further education at Boston College. Dr. Ballem completed his General Surgery residency in New York City, and then pursued specialty training at The Cleveland Clinic in both Endocrine & Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery. He also served as a Clinical Instructor at the Cleveland Clinic’s Medical School (The Lerner School of Medicine).
Dr. Ballem continued to pursue his interests in advanced laparoscopy and academics as a fellow at The University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Center. He has extensively researched, published, and presented at conferences both at a national and international level. Dr. Ballem is currently pursuing his Masters in Healthcare Management at Harvard University (The Chan School of Public Health). Dr. Ballem is dedicated to a lifetime of learning, to deliver his patients the highest quality of care, that is value based and patient centric.
Dr. Ballem is an active member of the ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery). He serves on the clinical consensus committee and has collaboratively published national guidelines for Bariatric Surgery. He has also built a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence for Clara Maass Medical Center (RWJ-Barnabas facility), which since inception has achieved ASMBS “Center of Excellence” status based on patient safety, staff education, and patient outcomes. Dr. Ballem also serves as Director of Bariatric Surgery for Hunterdon Medical Center and Jersey City Medical Center.
Dr. Ballem joins New York Bariatric Group in 2020.
- Clara Maass Medical Center, Belleville, NJ - Director of Bariatric Surgery
- Hunterdon Medical Center, Flemington, NJ - Director of Bariatric Surgery
- Jersey City Medical Center, Jersey City NJ - Director of Bariatric Surgery
- Mountainside Hospital, Montclair, NJ
Memberships and Associations:
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Past President of ASMBS NJ Chapter
- Past President of the Essex County Medical Society
- Columbia University at Harlem Hospital Center Surgical-Internship & Resident 2001-2005
- Columbia University at Harlem Hospital Center Chief Resident 2005-2006
- Cleveland Clinic, Clinical Scholar in Endocrine and Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Fellow in Advanced Endoscopy and Laparoscopy