Obesity and Dementia: How Bariatric Surgery Can Help
Obesity can make it difficult to take part in physical activities, but what about mental tasks?
Researchers have found that obesity impacts brain health and contributes to cognitive decline. How does that work? Physiological sequences trigger inflammation which leads to brain atrophy. Additional data reveals that, “obese individuals had lower total cerebral brain volume compared to metabolically healthy non-obese individuals.”
Simply put, obesity can affect the ability to initiate, plan and carry out tasks, and could cause dementia risk to rise.
A recent study explains that excess body fat increases inflammation which may contribute to the build-up of damaging proteins in the brain.
By middle age, the impact of excess weight was substantial. The study looked at data gathered from about 6,000 people ages 50+ for 11 years and found:
• Participants who were obese at the beginning of the study were 31% more likely to develop dementia.
• Women who carried weight around their midsection had a 39% greater risk of dementia.
• Those with both obesity and a high waist circumference (or waist-to-hip ratio) showed a 28% increased risk of dementia.
The study suggests that intervention for reducing obesity should be targeted at the groups most at risk of dementia, including women carrying excess weight around the waist.
Long-Term Weight-Loss Surgery Benefits
Bariatric surgery is a safe, effective long-term weight-loss solution that helps thousands of people lose weight and keep it off. Many studies show that patients maintain 50% to 70% loss of excess weight 10+ years after bariatric surgery.
NYBG patients not only start to see results soon after their procedure, but they also enjoy a transformation in their lifestyle towards better eating habits, increased energy, and long-term health.
Other benefits of long-term weight-loss surgery include:
• Reduction of high blood pressure
• Improvement of obstructive sleep apnea
• Conquering joint pain
• Achieving long-term remission for Type 2 diabetes
• And more
Change Your Life
When it’s time to start a successful weight-loss journey, it’s time to call NYBG! We’re the best practice around and our numbers prove it:
• 21 skilled surgeons who are leaders in bariatrics, 4 Plastic Surgeons, 21 PA’s, and 1 Colorectal Surgeon.
• 30,000 successful procedures performed with more every day
• The #1 gastric balloon practice by volume – most balloons placed in the United States
• Access to online seminars, support groups, cooking demos, and Q&A sessions
• 100s of videos for patients explaining procedures, answering common questions, and showcasing previous patients
• Multiple offices located in three states; NY, NJ, CT
• Since 2000, we boast over 20 years of success!
Our commitment to patient success and excellence has earned us accreditation from the Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). This prestigious achievement recognizes only the top bariatric practices. Stop waiting; start achieving better health today. Together, we’ve got this!
New York Bariatric Group is implementing and enforcing strict guidelines put out by the Center of Disease Control and the Department of Health in order to keep our staff and patients safe. We are offering in-person and virtual consultations to ensure that everyone is able to get the information and care they deserve without feeling pressure to leave their home.