5 TIPS FOR HOLIDAY EATING AFTER WEIGHT-LOSS SURGERY
‘Tis the season for holiday eating tips and tricks! You can enjoy the festivities and maintain your
new lifestyle after bariatric surgery. Remember the simple rules for success that New York
Bariatric Group surgeons shared with you when you began your journey. For example, Dr.
Cussatti recommends that you do the following after weight-loss surgery:
- Minimize the consumption of the five bad carbs: pasta, potatoes, bread, rice, and sweets
- Reduce consumption of liquid, pureed, or blenderized foods
- Chew each bite 12 times and take 30 minutes for mealtime
Abiding by these golden rules can support long-term success in general, and during the
holidays. Are you looking for a cheat sheet as you head off to parties with friends and family this
season? Keep these tidbits in mind:
- Stick to your schedule. Don’t skip meals to “make room” or “save space” for a holiday
meal. Odds are you’ll eat more if you arrive at your holiday table with an empty stomach.
- Think before you drink. You can still toast the special occasions. Opt for low calorie,
sugar-free beverages that use fresh fruit or herbs instead of juice or simple syrup. Avoid
carbonation (e.g. beers, spiked seltzers) which can cause uncomfortable reflux and your
stomach to stretch.
- Sharing is caring. When you bring a dish to share, you have peace of mind that there is
a healthy option available. Plus it helps out the holiday party host!
- Burn calories beforehand. Schedule time to exercise before heading off to your get-
together. 20-30 minutes daily keeps your healthy lifestyle on track no matter the season.
Check out NYBG’s Virtual Health Partners for unlimited resources.
- Socialize mindfully. Savor delicious foods at dedicated meal times. Rather than grazing
on snacks absentmindedly, focus on spending time with loved ones during social hours.
Simply put, remember the basics. Be conscious of portions and eating habits, and continue
making healthy lifestyle choices. The tips above are not meant to rain on your parade, but rather
provide a toolkit for joyful holiday celebrations.
New York Bariatric Group is here to support you all year long. Follow up with your bariatric
surgeon should you have any questions.
NYBG: SUPPORTING LONG-TERM WEIGHT LOSS EVERY SEASON
When it’s time to start a successful weight-loss transformation, it’s time to call NYBG!
Bariatric surgery is a safe, effective long-term weight-loss solution that helps thousands of
people lose weight and keep it off. Many studies show that patients maintain 50% to 70% loss
of excess weight 10+ years after bariatric surgery.
We’re the best practice around and our numbers prove it:
- 27 skilled surgeons who are leaders in bariatrics, 3 Plastic Surgeons, 21 PA’s, 1
Colorectal Surgeon, and 1 Vascular Interventional Radiologist.
- 36,000 successful procedures performed with more every day
- The #1 gastric balloon practice by volume – most balloons placed in the United States
- Access to online seminars, support groups, cooking demos, and Q&A sessions
- 100s of videos for patients explaining procedures, answering common questions, and
showcasing previous patients
- Multiple offices located in three states; NY, NJ, CT
- .Since 2000, we boast over 20 years of success!
All of our hospitals are Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement
Program (MBSAQIP) accredited facilities, which is a prestigious designation bestowed upon
only the top quality bariatric programs.
Stop waiting; start achieving better health today. Together, we’ve got this!
New York Bariatric Group is implementing and enforcing strict guidelines put out by the Center
of Disease Control and the Department of Health in order to keep our staff and patients safe.
We are offering in-person and virtual consultations to ensure that everyone is able to get the
information and care they deserve without feeling pressure to leave their home.